- • A Processor is the heart of the Embedded System.
- • For an embedded system designer knowledge of microprocessor and microcontroller is a must.
- Two Essential Units: Operations
- Control Unit (CU) Fetch
- Execution Unit (EU) Execute
Types of Processors
1. General Purpose processor (GPP)
- • Microprocessor
- • Microcontroller
- • Embedded Processor
- • Digital signal Processor
2. Application Specific System Processor (ASSP)
3. Multi Processor System using GPPs
- • A microprocessor is a single chip semiconductor device also which is a computer on chip, but not a complete computer.
- • Its CPU contains an ALU, a program counter, a stack pointer, some working register, a clock timing circuit and interrupt circuit on a single chip.
- • To make complete micro computer, one must add memory usually ROM and RAM, memory decoder, an oscillator and a number of serial and parallel ports.
- • A microcontroller is a functional computer system-on-a-chip. It contains a processor, memory, and programmable input/output peripherals.
- • Microcontrollers include an integrated CPU, memory (a small amount of RAM, program memory, or both) and peripherals capable of input and output.
- INTEL PIC
- 8031,8032,8051,8052,8751,8752 8-bit PIC16, PIC18,
- 16-bit DSPIC33 / PIC24, PIC16C7x
- • Special microprocessors & microcontrollers often called, Embedded processors.
- • An embedded processor is used when fast processing fast context-switching & atomic ALU operations are needed.
- Examples : ARM 7, INTEL i960, AMD 29050.
DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSOR
- • DSP as a GPP is a single chip VLSI unit.
- • It includes the computational capabilities of microprocessor and multiply & accumulate units (MAC).
- • DSP has large number of applications such as image processing, audio, video & telecommunication processing systems.
- • It is used when signal processing functions are to be processed fast.
- Examples : TMS320Cxx, SHARC, Motorola 5600xx
APPLICATION SPECIFIC SYSTEM PROCESSOR
- • ASSP is dedicated to specific tasks and provides a faster solution.
- • An ASSP is used as an additional processing unit for running the application in place of using embedded software.
- Examples : IIM7100, W3100A