• A huge number of devices i.e. many active users (~10 times more than Human2Human users/devices)
• Low data rate (small data transmission) – not always true!
• Sometimes delay tolerance (also depends on application) – not always true!
• Autonomous devices – ideally!
• Long Battery life (i.e. minimum energy at a given payload) - energy efficient solutions!
• Low cost devices and operations – usually but not always!
• Mobility –depends on the resources and use-case scenarios!
• Security, Privacy and Trust
• Different applications have different requirements
• Environment interaction
• Heterogeneity and scale
• Energy and resource constraints
• Autonomous mechanisms that are often required; e.g. self-configurability
• Security and Privacy issues
• Data-centric solutions and information processing/knowledge extraction requirements
• Actuation, feedback and control loop to interact with physical objects/environment over distributed networks.
• Diversity of applications and areas